May 20, 2024

MediaBizNet

Complete Australian News World

Michael Irvin out of NFL Network as ‘NFL Total Access’ shuts down: Sources

Michael Irvin out of NFL Network as ‘NFL Total Access’ shuts down: Sources

Michael Irvin is off the NFL Network, while one of the network’s original signature shows — “NFL Total Access” — is on the air after more than two decades, sources familiar with the moves said. The athlete Friday.

This is all part of the ongoing layoffs and cuts at NFL Network, which have been going on for months.

Irvin, 58, has been on rocky ground with the network for a while. In 2023, he was sent home from the Super Bowl in Arizona after an alleged lewd incident at the Marriott. After being suspended until September of that year, he returned to the gridiron at the start of the regular season. Irvin still appears regularly on FS1’s “Undisputed” show.

Vice President of Communications for the NFL Network, Alex Riethmiller, confirmed and forwarded Irvin’s decision The athlete To the network’s statement last month when The athlete It was reported that Andrew Siciliano, Melissa Stark, James Palmer and Will Silva were let go.

“As is the usual course of business at this time of year, we are evaluating our talent roster for the upcoming 2024 season and beyond,” Reithmiller said. “This process results in renewals, non-renewals and additions to our talent lineup depending on programming needs. To these departing talent, we extend our deepest thanks and appreciation for their hard work and contributions to NFL Media.”

The New York Post first reported the Irvin and Universal Access decisions.

“NFL Total Access” has been on the air for more than two decades, starting with the big show hosted by Rich Eisen in 2003. Its final program is expected on May 17. It will be replaced, at least next year. Temporarily by “Insiders,” an afternoon program featuring reporters Ian Rapoport, Mike Garafolo and Tom Pelissero.

READ  Former Houston, Arkansas basketball player Reggie Chaney has died at the age of 23.

NFL Network is in the midst of completely reworking its programming, which includes moving “Good Morning Football” from New York to Los Angeles. The show went on hiatus for the summer until late August and only Jamie Erdahl has committed to staying with the show while the other three hosts, Peter Schrager, Jason McCourty and Kyle Brandt, have yet to indicate whether they will be heading west.

The moves are part of a series of cuts made over the past months as it prunes networks through layoffs and cost-saving methods.

All of the decisions are being made against the backdrop of ongoing negotiations with ESPN over a deal under which the Disney-owned network would acquire the network and other NFL Media properties, and in return, the NFL would take a minority stake in ESPN. Discussions have continued with ESPN, while the NBA is also a potential player for an equity stake, although these talks have been postponed until after the NBA concludes television rights negotiations.

Required reading

(Photo: Justin Casterline/Getty Images)