Russian officials have visited an airport in Iran several times in the past few weeks to see drones capable of making weapons that can be used in war against ukraineThe White House said.
News leadership: The White House published satellite images indicating that Russian officials visited Iran to display drones capable of manufacturing weapons. AP . Reports.
- Russian officials visited Kashan airport on July 8 and 5 to check the drones, according to the photos.
- The images show two planes, Shahid 191 and Watch 129, flying at the airport, while a transport plane belonging to the Russian delegation was on the ground, according to the Associated Press.
- “This indicates continued Russian interest in acquiring Iranian attack drones,” National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan said.
why does it matter: The Associated Press writes that the Russian presence in Iran may help the Biden administration connect Russia’s war relationship with Ukraine to Arab states’ concerns about Iran’s nuclear ambitions.
- Sullivan argued that “deepening Russia’s alliance with Iran to kill Ukrainians is something the whole world should look at.”
The Big Picture: Sullivan Monday said That the Biden administration believes that Iran plans to deliver Russia “up to several hundred” drones, including those capable of making weapons.
- Iranian Foreign Minister, Hossein Amirabadollahian, told his Ukrainian counterpart, Dmytro Kuleba, that reports that Iran is exporting drones to Russia are “baseless,” according to the Associated Press.
“Unapologetic tv specialist. Hardcore zombie trailblazer. Infuriatingly humble problem solver.”